Thursday, July 21, 2016

What Makes a Community?

Where I come from community is very important. In my little town of Labe in West Africa, community was everything to us. The saying it takes a Village very much resonated with us. With this children and everyone in the community felt love and always came together when celebrating or when in crisis. What makes a community to me is a group of people with the same goals, struggles and culture who comes together to form a family. even though many people downplay the virtual world as if it is something fake or not a great as the real communities, I do believe it has the ability to bring people together like no other.  One example I can give is my family's website. I have one of the largest family's in my town and we are all scattered around the world. Because of our family's website, we are able to be a community. We get news of our hometown, deaths, accomplishments and most importantly everyone is in touch and when one person is in need, we all come together to help.  To me that's the power of the internet. The fact that we can still be a community despite being so far from each other is truly powerful. In my opinion in terms of community, the internet makes it possible for people to create bigger communities without boundaries. For example when crisis happen around the world, people all around the world come together to mourn, send support as well letting me they are not alone instantaneously. That to me is such a beautiful thing and is the purpose of an community and the internet makes it all easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment